Has it really been a whole year since I wrote a list of things to do while I'm 28? It seems that I've come upon the deadline, so I'd better own up to my successes and failures. Here's how I did:
1. Learn to Ski and/or Snowboard - Check! It was terrifying, but I did it! (see post here!) I actually just booked a trip to go skiing again in January, so we'll see if I can learn to enjoy it this time.
2. Apply for and begin Grad School - Check! Kind of. I have not begun grad school yet, but I'm well into the application process. I have a good feeling that I'll be accepted into the program I'm gunning for, and I should know for sure in the next month or two! Wish me luck!
3. Read a Harry Potter Book - Fail. Instead, I've completely geeked out and am on pace to catch up on all 5 books in the Game of Thrones series by the end of this year. Then I'll anxiously await book 6, which is due out in 2015... ahhh!
4. Try Rock Climbing - Check! (see post here!)
5. Volunteer - Check! (see post here!)
6. Knit Something More Difficult than a Scarf - Fail.
7. Run a 5K - Fail. Kind of. I haven't paid money to run with a large group of people, but I have run the distance of a 5k, and plus some, several times. I'm actually pretty excited about the New Balance Vibrams I bought a few weeks ago. They make running feel so much better - I've got the running bug! I'm working on building up my milage and am eyeing some 10K races for this year!
8. Save $10,000 - Fail. I've added several thousand to my bank account, but my financial priorities have shifted a little since I've moved to California. I'm happy with the experiences I've paid for this year and don't feel bad about not reaching this goal.
9. Create a Signature Cocktail - Fail. I've haphazardly created a few tasty concoctions, but none that I'd like to call my signature. Still a work in progress.
10. Host a Dinner Party - Check! Hosting another couple counts, right?
11. 30 for 30 REMIX! - Fail. You guys, I've seriously lost my fashion mojo (if I ever had any in the first place) since I started working from home. I rarely get creative these days. I'm hoping I'll at least try to have a fashion sense again once I start school and have to be around people.
12. Rock an Awesome Halloween Costume - Fail. I had an awesome idea, but we didn't do anything for Halloween this year. Lame.
13. Swim in the Ocean - Check! I spent lots of quality time in the ocean while we were in Maui. It was awesome.
14. Organize My Closet - Check! I guess being forced to sort things out when we moved counts, right? And it's stayed pretty organized since I haven't added many things to my wardrobe!
15. Visit a Big Cat Sanctuary - Fail. I'm most upset about this failure. This is happening this year.
16. Go Camping - Fail. Funny story. We were hiking around a lake here in Livermore and talking about how awesome it would be to camp there, and literally 30 seconds later we ran into a ginormous snake! I decided right then and there that camping wasn't going to happen.
17. Go to the Ballet - Fail. So sad. I'm not missing out on the San Francisco's Ballet season this year!
18. Have a Picnic - Check! It wasn't the well thought out, romantic type of picnic I was picturing when I wrote this goal, but I'm totally counting the picnic we had on Little Beach in Maui.
19. Acquire an Original Piece of Art - Fail. I should probably get the painting I bought at the Decatur Art Festival 4 years ago framed before I start shopping around for something else.
20. Plant an Urban Garden- Fail.
21. Make a New Friend - Check! While I totally value quality over quantity when it comes to friends, I wrote this goal to challenge myself to foster a new friendship as an adult. It can be difficult just meeting someone new at this stage of life (out of school, in a relationship), much less taking the time to get to know someone well enough to truly call them a friend. Then we moved and it became important to make "couple" friends that Adam and I could both enjoy being around. Thankfully, we've accomplished this goal. (FYF, Quinns!)
22. Take a dance class - Fail.
23. Mail Out Holiday Cards - Fail. Kind of. I sent out Save the Dates for our wedding at the beginning of December, so that will have to count as our season's greetings this year.
24. Take an International Trip - Check! (Canada counts, right? See post here!)
25. Donate Blood - Fail.
26. Shop a Yard/Estate Sale - Check! And you know what? It was kind of depressing. All I could think about while I was in the presumably dead person's kitchen was how someone might peruse my magnet collection one day and pay $0.25 for a decorative basket I once filled with seasonal decor...
27. Learn CPR - Fail. But I will definitely learn this year! I have to, as part of earning a teaching credential.
28. Play Flag Football - Fail. Not exactly sure why I added this to the list in the first place. I have zero desire to play flag football.
It's strange to think that I wrote this list before I knew that Adam and I would be packing up and moving across the country, away from everything and everyone we know, within a matter of weeks. Had I known, I would have put things like "visit Yosemite,""gamble in Tahoe," "eat sushi in Maui," or even "get engaged" on the list.
Overall, my 28th year on this planet has been amazing. I have so much to look forward to as I enter my last year of my 20's: marriage (and honeymoon!), grad school, meeting new people... and who knows what else! I'm not going to make another laundry list of things to do; I'm just going to do a bunch of cool stuff!